Made a Google account for the persona and verified it
Made a blog area and made new posts – 14 related Youtube videos just for preliminary content (I set them to noindex)
Looked for stock photos for the homepage
Designed the homepage
Optimized for site speed again
69/100 for mobile
84/100 for desktop
85/100 for mobile
97/100 for desktop
The designing of the homepage took most of my time today. I use Thrive Themes and I’m not an expert at it yet. But I’m already satisfied with how my homepage looks. It’s one of the best I made so far, I think.
And this is very important – do NOT use images that you don’t have rights to use! So I buy my images from stock image sites and others… or at least I make sure I could use them before posting them on any of my sites.
For Day 7, I did a deeper keyword research for the products in silo1. There are 20 products in silo1 and I managed to finish only 9 of them.
I’ll be sprinkling these keywords in the content during writing. For now, I just changed the meta titles of each of the review posts for each product with this kind of format: “Product Name Reviews 2017: Does It Really Work?”
I decided to write the titles this way for these products because of the data from the keyword research. I merged the most highly searched keywords and made sense out of them. That way I’m also targeting other related keywords.
And putting the year number (2017) in there and a question will hopefully improve my listing’s CTR (click-through rate) in the SERPs (search engine results pages). Numbers and question marks do improve CTR.
I also installed WP Rocket and tied it with Cloudflare to speed up the website’s page load times.
I used Google Pagespeed Insights to measure my site load speed.
Before: 56/100 for Mobile, 75/100 for Desktop
After: 69/100 for Mobile, 84/100 for Desktop
Server response time is 1.1 seconds. I would have to contact my hosting server’s support team to ask them if they could improve this response time. It’s slow!
I weighed my options. I decided to go and improve my old site targeting the same niche. The reason is this: I already know why its traffic died down.
I reckon this is the shortest way for me to reach $100k per year.
I used Barracuda.digital’s tool to find out possible penalties and filters that may have had negative effects on my site. I found it. It’s the Google Panda filter – which means I have to get better with my on-site content. The website was getting 5-6k visitors per week. Then traffic dropped at right about the times that Panda algorithm changes happened. So that’s it.
According to Ahrefs.com, this is what triggers Panda.
Security-related issues / vulnerabilities.
Slow page-loading times.
Bad user experience in general.
Content duplication / re-publication / syndication.
Complex, hard-to-navigate site structure.
High pogo-sticking rate.
A high ads-to-content percentage.
I agree. And I’ll solve these one by one.
For security: migrate to https and use security WordPress plugins
For slow page-loading times: transfer to a better hosting server and follow GTmetrix.com’s advice on speeding up wordpress sites
For bad user experiece: re-structure and re-design and the site
For content duplication: write better content
For complex site structure: silo the website
For high pogo-sticking rate: do conversion rate optimization
For ads-to-content percentage: lessen promotions and have more helpful content
These are the things that I did today.
Analyzed penalties and filters
Migrated the old site to another hosting company
Switched to https using Let’s Encrypt SSL
Installed Really Simple SSL plugin for WordPress to automatically deal with http and https redirects
Set it up on Cloudflare
Changed the keywords of the silo structure
Changed my SEO plugin to the SEO Ultimate Plus plugin
Added the top 250 keywords that are still ranking to my rank tracker tool
Fixed redirects of the old URLs including post URLs, page URLs, category URLs, backlink destination URLs, and AMP URLs
Fixed the canonicals using SEO Ultimate Plus plugin