I weighed my options. I decided to go and improve my old site targeting the same niche. The reason is this: I already know why its traffic died down.
I reckon this is the shortest way for me to reach $100k per year.
I used Barracuda.digital’s tool to find out possible penalties and filters that may have had negative effects on my site. I found it. It’s the Google Panda filter – which means I have to get better with my on-site content. The website was getting 5-6k visitors per week. Then traffic dropped at right about the times that Panda algorithm changes happened. So that’s it.
According to Ahrefs.com, this is what triggers Panda.
Security-related issues / vulnerabilities.
Slow page-loading times.
Bad user experience in general.
Content duplication / re-publication / syndication.
Complex, hard-to-navigate site structure.
High pogo-sticking rate.
A high ads-to-content percentage.
I agree. And I’ll solve these one by one.
- For security: migrate to https and use security WordPress plugins
- For slow page-loading times: transfer to a better hosting server and follow GTmetrix.com’s advice on speeding up wordpress sites
- For bad user experiece: re-structure and re-design and the site
- For content duplication: write better content
- For complex site structure: silo the website
- For high pogo-sticking rate: do conversion rate optimization
- For ads-to-content percentage: lessen promotions and have more helpful content
These are the things that I did today.
- Analyzed penalties and filters
- Migrated the old site to another hosting company
- Switched to https using Let’s Encrypt SSL
- Installed Really Simple SSL plugin for WordPress to automatically deal with http and https redirects
- Set it up on Cloudflare
- Changed the keywords of the silo structure
- Changed my SEO plugin to the SEO Ultimate Plus plugin
- Added the top 250 keywords that are still ranking to my rank tracker tool
- Fixed redirects of the old URLs including post URLs, page URLs, category URLs, backlink destination URLs, and AMP URLs
- Fixed the canonicals using SEO Ultimate Plus plugin
- Revived its subdomains too
I spent 6 hours for this project today.